EX-SITU BREEDING MANAGEMENT
We have an extensive expertise within an applied population management, based both on our experiences from the Western Derby eland conservation programme in semi-captivity in Senegal and from the ex-situ endangered species programme management in European zoos and other conservation facilities. We are skilled in individual identification of ungulates including new born calves, have more than 10 years experience in keeping the studbooks, performing genetic analyses and interprete the results for the conservation management decisions. We have also an extensive experience with antelope conservation, translocations and we cooperate with the best vets.
We provide expert advice on ex-situ, captive and semi-captive management of antelope populations, including metapopulation management and One Plan approach.
Derbianus Conservation is member of EAZA and partner of WAZA. We are regularly participating on EAZA's Antelope & Giraffid TAG (Taxon Advisory Group) and antelope meetings of the Union of Czech and Slovak Zoological Gardens. We are sharing our experiences and results of our research.
What we achieved by now?
of 118 living individuals of the Derby elands bred in semi-captivity and managed in 6 herds in 2
natural reserves in Senegal (in June 2019).
- 206 Derby elands born from 2000 to 2019 in the Bandia and Fathala reserves.
- 12 volumes of Western Derby Eland studbook
- Series of African Studbook. Western Derby Eland, Taurotragus derbianus derbianus (Gray, 1847). Volume 1 - 12 (2008-2019).
- Brandlová K., Mallon D., Hejcmanová P., Regnaut S., Jůnková Vymyslická P., Fedorova T., Žáčková M., Brandl P., Ndiaye S., 2013. Western Derby eland (Taurotragus derbianus derbianus) Conservation Strategy. Prague: Czech University of Life Sciences Prague, 2013, 111 p. ISBN 978-80-213-2397-1.
- Koláčková K., Hejcmanová P., Antonínová M., Brandl P., 2011. Population management as a tool in the recovery of the critically endangered Western Derby eland Taurotragus derbianus in Senegal, Africa. Wildlife Biology. 17(3): 299-310. - link to the article
- Zemanová H., Černá Bolfíková B., Brandlová K., Hejcmanová P., Hulva P. 2015 Conservation genetics of the Western Derby eland (Taurotragus derbianus derbianus) in Senegal: integration of pedigree and microsatellite data. Mammalian Biology. 80(4): 328-332. - link to the article
- Other scientific articles