THE WESTERN DERBY ELAND IS ON THE BRINK OF EXTINCTION
We aim to build capacities to save the Derby eland, as well as other antelope species of West African savanna. We are Derbianus Conservation.
THE WESTERN DERBY ELAND
- It is the largest antelope in the world.
- Its natural range and numbers have been severely reduced by the loss of habitat, competition with cattle and poaching.
- The last wild population of Western Derby eland now lives only in the Niokolo Koba national park in Senegal.
- Less then 200 Western Derby elands remain in the wild.
- There is also a successful semi-captive breeding programme in two private Senegalese reserves.
- Western Derby eland is a flagship species of West African savanna.
Healthy populations of Derby eland and other West African antelope species in their native habitat. The Derby eland is valued as a flagship species for conservation of the savannah ecosystems of Western and Central Africa.
Providing scientific expertise to relevant
conservation management entities, supporting activities relevant to Derby eland and other West African antelope conservation and raising awareness of the importance of healthy, functioning
Expertise - we base our decisions on the scientific evidence
Energy - we invest our energy into actions which we trust
Respect - we respect our partners as well as different approaches and opinions
Cooperation - we are a team and we never work alone
Tenacity - we do not give up
NGO DERBIANUS CONSERVATION
- The NGO associates experts, scientists, students and enthusiasts who want to participate in biodiversity conservation and who want to change the fate of the Western Derby eland and the other antelope species in its habitat. We promote the conservation of the whole ecosystem of West African savanna.
- Africa is not a distant part of the world. It is a part of environment which is the only one in the whole world and by its protection, we ensure a better future for ourselves and for our loved ones all around the world.
- We operate at the Faculty of Tropical AgriSciences Czech University of Life Sciences in Prague .